- Circumnavigating Lake Superior by bicycle in 1964
- Bicycling from Minnesota to Alaska and back in 1967
- A 500-mile solo backpacking trip through the Brooks Range in 1972
- Climbing Mt. McKinley in 1979
- Bicycling across Europe in 1984
- Sea kayaking solo across Lake Superior from Isle Royale to Michigan’s Keweenaw Peninsula in 1993
- Circumnavigating Lake Superior by sea kayak, without resupply in 1996
In 2003, Andy was diagnosed with Stage 3b renal cell carcinoma. After undergoing treatment, Andy celebrated the fortieth anniversary of his 1967 trip with another ride to Alaska. All told, Andy has logged over 156,000 human powered miles.
Facing months of recovery and a 30% chance of success Andy began his immune system transplant this week.
Anyone here would dream of heading out the door on any one of Andy’s past adventures. Today though, we can join him on his latest.
Andy is currently blogging through his treatment at www.andytknapp.blogspot.com. Please take the time to visit, send out some healing thoughts and maybe even leave a comment for Andy to read.